Carers UK’s new State of Caring Report
Carers UK published the results of their State of Caring survey this week after receiving a record number of respondents this year, with over 8000 people, including 7500 current carers, completing it.
Some of the key findings are as follows:
- Almost 2 in 5 (39%) carers saying that they are struggling to make ends meet.
- Over half of carers who are receiving Carer’s Allowance (53%) are struggling to make ends meet.
- Shockingly, over two thirds of carers (68%) regularly use their own income or savings to pay for care or support services, equipment or products for the person they care for.
- 1 in 8 carers (12%) reported that they or those they support received less care or support services during the previous year due to a reduction in the amount of support from social services.
- 53% of carers said that they are not able to save for their retirement.
The press release can be found here: https://www.carersuk.org/news-and-campaigns/press-releases/carers-uk-state-of-caring-report-2019
The report can be downloaded here: www.carersuk.org/stateofcaring